The placename harks back to its agricultural Roman-Ligurian roots. That is to say, 2,000 years ago these places were already inhabited and being cultivated. The internal streets are arranged in a way that connects them to the ancient roads leading to the neighbouring villages. The fulcrum of the settlement is the church of San Bernardino da Siena (1718). Candeasco was originally a place of stonecutters, master builders, architects and stucco workers. They are from the Melissano and Marvaldi families. Between the seventeenth and the eighteenth centuries, a branch of the latter family was the main player in sacred and secular building in Western Liguria for five generations. Indeed, there are some particular sacred buildings in Candeasco, such as the seventeenth century oratory of San Giovanni Battista and the sanctuary of Madonna del Fossato, which were splendidly stuccoed by Gio Batta Melissano and Gio Batta Marvaldi.
San Lazzaro Reale
A typical town linked with the road network at the bottom of the valley. Reale because the “royal” road to Piedmont goes from here, which used to link Turin with Oneglia. However, the State Road 28 that connects Liguria and Piedmont still travels through its neighbourhoods still today. San Lazzaro is a memorial of the relationships between Western Liguria and Provence, in that the placename is a reference to Lazzaro of Betania, which is considered the first Bishop of Marsiglia. Its vocation as a road junction is confirmed by the double-arched late Medieval bridge.